Not many of you have heard of onion toxicity I am sure for it is a condition that only afflicts dogs. It is caused by thiosulphate, a natural substance present in onion and garlic. In humans, thiosulphate is efficiently burnt by the digestive system. But in case of dogs, it doesn’t happen that way. Thus, the unburnt amounts of thiosulphate that remain in the body results in toxicity.
This medical condition also causes red blood cells to rupture thereby leading to a compromised immune system. This situation may further compound into hemolytic anemia.
Some of the symptoms of onion toxicity may include general debilitation, diarrhea, difficulty in breathing, pale or bluish gums, blood in urine, jaundice, fever, loss of appetite and increased heart rate. If any of these symptoms come to your notice, you should immediately rush him to a doctor who will first decontaminate his body and then administer intravenous fluids. Sometimes, in case of acute anemia, blood transfusion may be necessary.
However, having said all this, I would like to add that onion toxicity is very much preventable. What you only have to do is completely cut down on his consumption of food items stuffed with onion like pizza, hamburger, sandwich meats, canned spaghetti, gravies, and spicy meals. Finally, keep an eye on whether he is consuming left over food or not. So, by exercising these precautions you can actually minimize the risk of onion toxicity in dogs.