Laundry products: non-natural detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheets… a little bit of internet research will convince you- there is all kinds of well-documented material about how very harmful the most common, best-selling brands are to our health. Keep in mind, between clothing, bedding, and towels, we are constantly exposed to and absorbing these poisons through our skin and so are our pets! If you launder any of their cloth toys, they are also ingesting those chemicals.
Here is a list of just some of the chemicals found in fabric softeners and dryer sheets: Reprinted with Permission from the SixWise.com Security & Wellness e-Newsletter
* Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer
* Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant
* Ethanol: On the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders
* A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage
* Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list
* Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders
* Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic
* Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders
* Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled
There are many natural, affordable alternatives to be found at stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and many online companies. Just because it smells pretty, doesn’t mean it’s not harmful. Please don’t assume that large companies put your health and well-being before their bottom line.
In my opinion, it is always wise to read the label of every product your animal is exposed to in and around your home.
This blog is contributed by Nadine M. Rosin, author of The Healing Art of Pet Parenthood http://www.TheHealingArtOfPetParenthood.com